The revival of the gallery collection in the postwar period

During World War II, in the period of the occupation of the city, the Palace was subjected to significant destruction. The art collections of the gallery, which were then located in the building of the Church of the Ascension, were damaged, and partly plundered. But soon after the liberation of the city, work on the preparation of exhibitions, the study and acquisition of the collection were resumed. In 1942, several etudes by V. D. Polenov and the landscape by A. V. Ginet "Moonlight Night" were acquired, in 1943 - early 1945, works by I. E. Repin, V. M. Vasnetsov, P. P. Trubetskoy were received. KF Bogaevsky, B. D. Grigoriev, S. Yu. Sudeikin and many other masters. The fact that in such difficult years the collection continued to grow is a matter of respect and surprise. But even more striking and even fantastic is the fact of acquiring the works of Russian émigré artists (Grigoriev, Sudeikin), declared by official Soviet art criticism as "representatives of the reactionary bourgeois art."

In the post-war years, right up to the beginning of the “Perestroika”, the collection activities of the gallery were very orderly and measured. From the Committee on Arts at the USSR Council of Ministers, from the Ministry of Culture, from private collections of Kalinin, Moscow and Leningrad regularly receive works of Russian and Western European classical art, works of famous Soviet masters. A characteristic feature of this stage is the increased attention to the creativity of artists associated with the land of Tver, and not only "locals". Thanks to this, a collection of works by the artists of Akademicheskaya Dacha was formed - the House of Creative Work of the Union of Artists of Russia, reopened in 1948; “Domotkanovskoe” (Valentin Serov and his entourage on Domotkanovo’s estate) and “Udomelskoye” (artists who worked in the Chaika’s dacha by V. K. Byalynitsky-Birulya) were considerably replenished. Active expeditionary activity in the 1960s - 1970s allowed to significantly expand the department of ancient Russian art.